Monday, April 9, 2012

Author Interview - Hope Welsh, Author of LINKED

So Hope, where were you born and where do you call home? Born in Ohio. I've lived all over the US and Canada. Now, I'm in sunny Florida. Winter and I are not on good terms. There are not enough descriptive words for my loathing of cold.

Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.
I'm actually kind of excited. I have two YA novels brewing. I'm also working on a sequel to LINKED. I'm very excited that Linked has made a couple of bestseller lists in the last week or so.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

LINKED: Evil is watching and time is running out.

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

Cole Thomas, the hero in Linked, would say something like this:  "I'm going to be there to protect you, Lana." Even if she doesn't like it. (He'd add that to himself silently)

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?

I wrote LINKED for a contest, but when the story took on a mind of its own, I decided to publish it instead. I hadn't planned on a sequel, but the characters had different ideas. I'm working on it now, along with two YA Paranormal books.

What books have influenced your writing?

It's more a question of what authors have influenced my writing. I think every book has something to teach a writer, whether it be something to do--or something NOT to do.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I was lucky enough to go to a Romantic Times convention years ago. I met most of my dream authors there. My favorites back then were Johanna Lindsey, Sharon Sala, Linda Howard, Kay Hooper, Jayne Ann Krentz and Elizabeth Lowell. I met most of them there. Sharon and I were in the same writing club in Oklahoma.

I'd love to meet Linda Wisdom. She's an absolutely fantastic author. I've loved emailing back and forth with her.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

I've lost most of the use of my left arm, so e-books are my favorite now. I used to be a fan of paperback books, though. Hardcover are simply too heavy. If I bought hardcovers it was because I knew I'd be reading them many times.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?

I like to write on the patio. I have a wonderful view of the lake where I live. It's relaxing.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

Yes, though I've also sold to e-publishers in the past.

What book would you like to read again?

Too many to mention.  Those authors I said I liked and met?  I've read all their books multiple times. Mackenzie's Mountain was at one time my all-time favorite book.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

Twilight--hands down.


What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

I'm reading Linda Wisdom's Demon series right now.  E-books. I'm also reading Melissa Foster's books.  I read a mix of indie and traditional published authors.


Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
There are a lot! I've discovered so many talented indie authors out there. HP Mallory, Melissa Foster, Amanda Hocking (though both of them are now traditionally published) I loved their stories. HP is just a great person to interact with. She helped me with getting beta-readers for LINKED before it came out.


Some of my recent finds include: Kait Nolan, Carrie Ann Ryan (found her via a Tweet, I think) Imogen Rose, Susan Bischoff.  There are just too many.  I'm also a reviewer,  so I get asked to read a lot of books.  I read 1-2 books per day and just can't keep track of all the new awesome writers I've found.

Who designed the cover of your book?

Lanie Jordan. She's a YA author--and does great book covers.


Do you buy a book by the cover?

I have, yes. Usually, though, I buy a book based on the description. If it entices me, I assume the writing will as well.

Do you have a book trailer?

Yes I do. it's on YouTube. I made it myself.

What are your thoughts on book trailers?

I think they're fun, but to be honest, I'm not sure they help promote much, as it's hard to get them out there and seen. But, I'm a visual person. I like seeing the people I'm going to read about.


Do you have any advice for other writers?

I do, actually. To be a good writer, you have to be a reader.  I've read books by a lot of good storytellers, but have found them lacking in writing basics. The more you read, the more you pick up about things like proper use of dialogue tags. (A particular pet-peeve of mine) Also, find a critique partner and then send your baby out to beta-readers before you revise it to death.  When we write, we are intimately familiar with our book, so it needs other eyes to catch things our minds just 'know'.  I'm actually preparing a blog series on writing. When my book hit a Top 100 list on Amazon a couple of weeks ago, I decided to do the series of blogs. There are things I think will help other indie authors get their work noticed. I'm a firm believer in sharing knowledge. 

I'm obsessed with The Secret Circle. I just love it.  Criminal Minds is another favorite. Of course, I call them research.  


If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters? 

Oh, this could be so much fun.  I was always thinking someone like Adrian Paul. But, without the beard he has now, Joe Lando would make a great Cole.  Lana would be Olivia Wilde.

Where can your readers stalk you?


Website: http://hopewelsh.com


The picture of the puppy is my old dog, Satin.  I had to give her away when I had a stroke and was unable to walk her.  She now lives with a lovely little girl--but I miss her every day.

Thank you for taking the interview Hope - and giving away your books to 5 lucky readers.  Wishing you all the best, Patti







4 comments:

  1. very interesting post and contest! I tweeted, shared and a few others. I hope you have a great week! WendyandCharlesSiefken@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview and sound advice. Would love one of your books Hope!! Have tweeted and facebooked etc.... rebecca_blackst@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! You two will get a book--Plus 5 more :) Thanks for the tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. Cute dog. Thanks for doing the giveaway.bluepooh1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...