Thursday, September 15, 2011

Up Close & Personal with Author - Kathy Bennett - A Dozen Deadly Roses - leave your email address to win a book



Where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born and raised in Southern California and after serving twenty-one years as an LAPD officer, I still call it home.   

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

My book is called, A Dozen Deadly Roses.  


Two LAPD street cops hunt a psycho stalker while keeping secrets from each other and battling internal torments.  He fights the bottle, she fights her biggest fear…losing her son.  

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?

My next book is called Deadly Blessing and I hope to have it available early 2012.  

It will be the debut novel of LAPD Detective Maddie Divine who is thrust into a Missing Person case that leads to prostitution, homicide and two more missing girls.  Meanwhile, Maddie's SWAT officer husband needs her more than ever.  When Maddie has to make a choice of who to help, is it her husband or the missing girls who pay the price?

What or who inspired you to write?  And how long have you been writing?

I've written in one form or another all of my life.  But the catalyst to making me think I could write well was an essay I wrote in eighth grade. My teacher read my work to the class. I'd ended the story with a hook, and after listening to my classmates go, "Ohhhhhh...", a suspense writer was born.  

Win a book - leave your email address and follower the Author on her links below to go in the draw.  Leave a comment on Kathy's facebook page too about reading this blog.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

A friend and fellow author, Carol Arens came up with the fabulous title A Dozen Deadly Roses.  

As for my eye-catching cover, I had an original concept that was brought to life by DigitalDonna at www.DigitalDonna.com

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

I think there are bits and pieces of many people, including myself, in my characters.   I have been a victim of a stalker - although not to the degree poor Jade experiences.


Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

Joseph Wambaugh.  He writes LAPD street cops like no one else I've ever read.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

I love to read - format doesn't matter so much.  But I do have to say, since I got my Nook Color as a retirement gift, I'm reading a lot more.


Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

I proudly say yes, I am!

Have you ever read a book more than once?

Several.  Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell at least ten times.  Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins several times, and The Quickie by James Patterson at least twice.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

Dead Air by Carol Ericson

What book do you know that you will never read?

War and Peace

Do you have a book trailer?

I do!  You can see it here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vRBYoueak

What are your thoughts on book trailers?

I don't know if they sell books, but they sure are fun to make!

Do you have any advice for other writers?

There is no right or wrong path to publication.  Choose the format that is best for you.

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?

Don't be afraid to self-publish.

Do you write under a pen name?

Nope.  I really am Kathy Bennett.

What are your pet peeves?

People not taking responsibility for their actions.
Patti Says:  I'm with you on that one!

Cats or dogs?

Both.  We've got three large dogs and two spoiled cats.

Favorite food?

Either pizza or Mexican food.  Neither of them are good for the waistline.

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

Yogurt and berries - or scrambled eggs.

Laptop or desktop for writing?

Both - but mostly desktop

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?

My office when no one is at home but me.
Win a book - leave your email address in comments box and follower the Author on her links below to go in the draw.  Leave a comment on Kathy's facebook page too about reading this blog. winner will be drawn 15th Oct 2011.

Where can your readers stalk you?



Twitter: @kathywriteslapd




Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

A Dozen Deadly Roses is only available in e-book form.  However, Deadly Blessing will also be out in print when it is published.

Patti, thank you for inviting me to visit with you and your readers.

Patti says - it has been my pleasure :)

Kathy Bennett - L.A. Cop (ret.)

Authentic Crime...Arresting Stories
A Dozen Deadly Roses - Top 50 in Nookbooks at Barnes and Noble!
A Dozen Deadly Roses - Top 25 in Police Procedural books at Amazon!
A Dozen Deadly Roses - Top 100 in Suspense books at Amazon!

Image of Kathy Bennett
Kathy Bennett is no stranger to murder and mayhem. A twenty-one year veteran of the Los Angeles Police Department, her authentic crime experience results in arresting stories.
Most of Kathy's career was spent working patrol in a black and white police car. Prior to retirement, Kathy was assigned as a Senior Lead Officer, with approximately five square miles in the San Fernando Valley her responsibility regarding crime and quality of life issues.
Kathy also served as a Firearms Instructor at the LAPD Police Academy, a crime analyst in the 'War Room', a Field Training Officer, and worked undercover in various assignments. She was named Officer of the Quarter twice, and Officer of the Year once.
She's married to a Los Angeles Police Officer, and they have one daughter and one granddaughter. Kathy has written two romantic suspense manuscripts and is currently revising her third book - a… Read more

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous interview, Patty and Kathy. I loved the book. Loved how real it felt to me.

    Never imagined, with your slim figure Kathy, that you'd be a pizza lover. Me, pizza, and sitting behind a computer all day, do not mix. : )

    Good to hear Deadly Blessing will be in print, as well as e-book. I have a few family members who desire print and would love your stories.
    Robena G. (In case I need to hit anon. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robena!

    Ha! I try to spend a lot of time on my treadmill or walking the dogs to keep that pizza from my hips. But combine that with my age and I've got a losing battle. But I still fight!

    Good to know there are people who would like my stories in print as well. Thanks for all your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lord, okay the book must get moved up on the TBR pile in the nook. Great interview Patty and Kathy and I am so with you on Mexican food. I love it and miss it because I am trying to whittle the waist down.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...