Sunday, October 2, 2011

Author Interview with Nuayma Jeggels - My home is the lion-infested, ‘Cradle of Humankind’ land of Af-ri-ca!


Where were you born and where do you call home?

My home is the lion-infested, ‘Cradle of Humankind’ land of Af-ri-ca! (I live in South Africa, near Cape Town, a beautiful place that I will always call home).

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

The Zombie Survival Guide. Oh-my-god-I-hope-that-this-will-never-happen-good-grief-what-will-I-do-I-can’t-see-myself-eating-raw-meat-I’m-a-good-girl!

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

I think giving my characters the opportunity to speak for themselves would mean that they would be able to do what they want to do: they would kill me. And after killing me they would ask, “What the hell did I do to you?”

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?

Well, “Raven” is the first book in a seven-part series. (And, yes, I’m crazy).

Patti Says:  Good to know.  We would get on great!

What or who inspired you to write?  And how long have you been writing?

Tolkien was my inspiration. I was around about thirteen years old, staring wide-eyed up at the theatre screen, and I knew: I wanted to write something like that. Not exactly like that, but the Lord of the Rings inspired me, gave me my dream of being a writer. So I began writing, and I haven’t stopped.

Would you like to giveaway a copy of your book on this blog?

Sure!

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

I don’t know why I decided to give one of my characters the name of “Raven”, but when I researched what raven meant in certain cultures, I loved it; so I decided that the name would be the title ...

Well, it was a long, long summer’s day and I was bored. So with my mouse, my boredom and my copy of Photoshop, I fooled around and experimented. I’m not a pro, I’m not the best at Photoshop (good grief, I’m not!) but I thought that that cover wasn’t horrible, but wasn’t brilliant either. The spiral means something in the Violet Jewel series; an old and powerful symbol behind a group of peacekeepers.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

There are certain characteristics of people I know that I’ve given to one or two of my characters, but I rarely base a scene on something I saw.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?

George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire. It’s a beautifully written fantasy series filled with such flawed characters and … well, I’m not worthy to review/describe the series, but when I read the books, mouth agape at Martin’s writing technique, I knew I wanted to be like him. One day.

Patti Says:  I love George R. R. Martin's books and the TV show - great.  Love his writing style.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I would embarrass myself. Seriously! I prefer to worship the authors I respect from a distance and not face to face.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

That’s a tough one! Right now I prefer e-books, but if I loved the story, then I would buy the paperback version, and if the paperback version isn’t available, then it would be the hardcover.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?

Mostly ebooks from Amazon or Smashwords, but if I liked the story I would go to the local bookstore or order the book online.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

An indie author.

Have you ever read a book more than once?

Yes. Harry Potter, To Kill A Mockingbird, Memoirs of a Geisha, Percy Jackson, Protector of the Small, the Lord of the Rings.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

I think I liked Slumdog Millionaire more than Q&A, though that was a long time ago, so I can’t really say. I usually prefer the books over the movie versions.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

Shogun by James Clavell, in ebook format.

Are there any new Authors that have grasped your interest and why?

Jennifer L. Armentrout caught my eye with Daimon. When I finished that I immediately pre-ordered Half-Blood, so I’m impatiently waiting for that.

Is there anything you would change in your last book and why?

Right now, I don’t think so, but in five years, ten years? Yes, probably. We change, our writing technique can change, and when you look back at what you have written, you might think: what the hell was I thinking?

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Some people write best at different times of the day; try to find that perfect time, be comfortable, sit back and relax, then think and transfer your thoughts onto paper. Keep a notebook close, but remember we’re not the best writers in the beginning, so keep writing and reading. It’s a lot of hard work: “Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration.” Write every day, allow your characters to speak through you, and finally, write what feels right for you!

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?

“Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration.” Work hard.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?

Tehehe, yes.

What are your pet peeves?

People who walk too slow (if you stroll I feel as though we’re going backwards), unnecessary sounds (especially when you’re trying to sleep), and being unnecessarily rude.

Cats or dogs?

Both. I really can’t choose between them.

Favorite food?

Lasagne.

Vanilla or chocolate icecream?

My favourite would be ‘Tin Roof’. Around about 80% vanilla and 20% chocolate with nuts.

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

Yogurt, fruit and oats. Breakfast for champions!

What are 4 things you never leave home without?

My cell phone, money, a notebook and keys (and my brain, though sometimes I leave that at home for some strange reason).

Laptop or desktop for writing?

Laptop.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?

It changes all the time. Some days in my bedroom, sometimes outside. Sometimes in the morning would the best time, but then that will change to late in the evening after eating.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?

Hmm, Einstein, Chris Colfer and JK Rowling. (Or maybe my mom, she’s famous in my eyes.)

One of your favorite quotes - “Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration.”

List 3 of your all time favorite books?

To Kill a Mockingbird, the Lord of the Rings and Memoirs of a Geisha.

List 3 of your all time favorite movies?

Moulin Rouge, Saving Private Ryan and Terminator 2 (the list goes on and on).

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Where can your readers stalk you?

Is your book in Print, ebook or both: just ebook for now.

About The Book:
 
A girl, a coma, a Plague, and an empty grave.

When Shardaie wakes up, she doesn’t know who she is, why she can’t understand emotions, why she has been unconscious for nearly nine of her thirteen years, or why the dead just won’t stay dead. The only clue to her past is a locket, but the Plague, which finally stretches its unnatural hand to her village, forces her to leave and to learn to protect herself. But everything has a cost: the protection against the undead reveals a secret that Shardaie and her classmates just don’t want to accept, and at the end, Shardaie realises that some secrets shouldn’t be revealed. Secrets have the power to destroy, and the power to change her view on humanity for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...