Friday, July 6, 2012

Author Interview - Maree Ward-Russell -The Castle Series – Book 1 The Transient


Where were you born and where do you call home? 
I was born in a provincial surfing town on the west coast of the North Island of New Zealand called New Plymouth. Laid back is not an observation there but rather a way of life. Nowadays I call Auckland home – Birkenhead which is over looking the water; Auckland is well known for being the city of Sails. 

Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.
Recently our son Leon who is nineteen was chosen for the NZ underwater hockey team and is off to Australia to compete.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
I had to really think about the answer to this as I never have less than two or three books on the go! Because I have been on hold with my Castle Trilogy and Roses at Dusk I have been working on two novels that are completely different. Firstly a teen adventure story set in Kent, England called The Dragons of the Yew Maze. Its part fairy story part wild adventure – sort of a Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe on steroids, where two cousins find themselves in a lost world fighting for the salvation of a race of people and the survival of their Dragon flock – its a roller coaster from beginning to end. I am also writing a Steam punk historical mystery called The Mystery at Bancroft Hall.

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?
I would probably give Melodie from The Transient (The Castle Series) a chance to have the last word. I think she would say "No matter how unreal it seems – simply believe! Then all your dreams will come true."

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
My plans are only limited by my time at present. I have a few chapters to complete and tidy in The Darkest Angel which is the third book in The Castle Trilogy – The Transient & The Soul Keeper being the other two. I have also started a follow up to Roses at Dusk which is a paranormal thriller that I have completed. These more adult books actually follow on from The Castle Series. Where that Trilogy is a Teen fantasy romance, Roses and its sequel are a more adult take which gives the evil characters from The Castle Trilogy a voice and a chance to tell their story. 



What books have influenced your writing?
I have spent  most of my life entrenched in fantasy so I would have to say Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Stephen King and more recently J.K Rowling would be my big four. For me the ability to create an unmistakeable setting and feel are the things that draw me in.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
Jo Rowling with out a doubt. Not just for the obvious reason such has her unparalleled writing ability but also because she has achieved that while maintaining as normal as possible a life as a woman and a mum. The very things that as a mother I find challenging to do.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
There is a significant place in my world for all 3 but I'm a paper back girl through and through. Although I use all equally these days I still like the tactile feel and smell of a paperback especially when I'm curled up by the fire.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
I buy a lot on line these days – especially Amazon but still regularly stroll the local bookstores so I can keep the tactile experience going and support the local industry as well.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?
I'm currently caught between self and traditional with two manuscripts' held exclusively – one with Random House and the other with The Blair Partnership waiting, waiting for their decisions'. I am gearing up nicely to self publish – sensing the inevitable which I have always planned to do with some of my work regardless.

What book would you like to read again?
Lord of the Rings – over and over and over and.....

Patti says: That is one of the books I'm reading now!

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
Controversially enough probably the Hunger Games.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
I'm currently reading the ebook version of K.S Haigwood's Forbidden Touch. I have only just started it and am already gripped.

Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why? Kristie Haigwood for her very direct stories and their intensity and Lauren Kate for the shear complexity of her work.

Who designed the cover of your book? Patti Roberts of course. I have done a lot of research and no one has been able to come close to her in efficiency, talent and cost.

Patti Says: why, thank you!

Do you buy a book by the cover? Not completely but it is certainly the first hook so vitally important.

Do you have a book trailer? Not as yet but I will down the track.

What are your thoughts on book trailers? I think for the online examples of purchase they are of great use to entice the readers in. It also gives you that professional edge.

Do you have any advice for other writers? Hang in there. Passion, endurance, living the dream with tenacity above all else.

Do you write under a pen name? Of sorts. Just a shortening of my own name to M.W Russell.


What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like.  Ha ha I have no issue with my age so August 15th 1965.


Do you have a nickname? Yikes! Yes – well, when I was a nursing student I was always called 'The Smurf.'


Did you have a favorite toy as a child? My giant Mickey Mouse my older brother brought me back from Disney Land.


An early childhood memory -  Sitting in one of our trees, surrounded by white cherry blossoms eating crab apples while reading Nancy Drew.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s? Write, eat, sleep, do the house work – forget to remove them and arrive red faced at the supermarket!

Patti Says:
Pj's, the chosen uniform of most authors!

What are your pet peeves? Flat sparkling wine (left off the cork), judgemental people and muppets who don't indicate.


Any pets that you would like to tell us about? Two neurotic cats and four overfed budgies.


White wine or red? White – all the way – Sav, Pino Gris of copious amounts of chilled champaigne – I'm not fussy really.

Coffee or tea? Neither – I loath hot drinks. Even my soup has to cool. (Yes I know – weird)

So you like to cook?  Do you have a favorite food? A traditional Raviloi.

Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream? Chocolate!!!

What do you normally eat for breakfast, of do you skip it and get straight to work? Can't live without my fresh berries and yoghurt and a large slab of hot buttered toast.

What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)? Paper, pen and glucosamine tablets for my aching neck.


Sleep in or get up early? Up early most days – family necessity.

Laptop or desktop for writing? Laptop so I can disappear and hide.


Your favorite gadget -  The blender for my summer fruit cocktails.


Where and when do you prefer to do your writing? On my deck overlooking the harbour  otherwise by the beach.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad -  The whole thing scares the ba-jee-bas out of me but necessary I know. Something I'll learn to live with in time.

Patti Says: Even the big names with best sellers receive not so nice reviews :) go check - it will make you feel better!

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you? Jamie Oliver (so I don't starve) Bear Grills (so I don't die) and Brad Pitt (so I keep warm).


Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday? I have already been twice but would greedily like to return to Santorini in Greece – Love it!!

One of your favorite quotes – Who said Kiwis can't fly.

List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend? Fallen, by Lauren Kate. Save My Soul By K.S Haigwood and Flesh and Bones by Kathy Reichs.

List 3 of your favorite movies? All the Harry Potters, Lord of the Rings and Men in Black.

An actor or a book character you have a crush on – Rob Pattinson and Edward Cullen – oh that's right, they're one in the same.


What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed? Rock of Ages – an absolute laugh!


If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?  Feel free to add pics. In the Castle Series Joseph is the main protagonist and just happens to be a ghost. I think that Zac Efron would suit him well. Melodie would suit being played by Samara Weaving from the Australian Soap – Home and Away. I picked Samara because Melodie in the book is from Australia and has a long tangle of blonde hair.


Where can your readers stalk you?







Keep your eye out for books by Maree Russell - coming to a book store soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...