Saturday, March 9, 2013

Author Interview – Carlyle Labuschagne goes indie!

Hi Carlyle, Just recently you decided to leave your publisher and go Indie, can you tell us why?
There are so many reasons; this has been a difficult road for me. As a South African author the publishing industry is very limited here. I was totally in the dark, had no support and well I was inpatient with my first book, didn’t know what it entailed, what signs to look out for, or what exactly to research. I ended up (the impatient me) signing a deal with a vanity press company. I have to say I do not regret it at all – their reach is fantastic, but it is costly - very. I finally came to this decision because in the long run I get higher rewards. I am also a control freak and would like to make this my business! And perhaps one day soon I can help other South African author just like me. And Thirdly I get to choose my own cover artist. This is purely a career choice for me. Traditional publishing is a big deal a big dream but without an agent – they will not take a second look at your work. With today’s technology and the growth of self publishing – being in book stores can be anyone’s dream!

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

The book I am currently working on is book two in the series entitled Evanescent – A Broken Novel.
Is a book is about loss and love – love in many forms, and in all its forms. About choices, and consequences. About redemption, and salvation.

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say? Watch out universe here we come!

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
Right now Ill be working on the 4 part Broken Series, on the side I will be doing a short story. There is also plans for a supernatural two book duology.

What books have influenced your writing?
Every book I have read influences me in one way or another. I can never stop learning and take from everything I pick up.

What Author would really like to meet that have inspired your writing?
There are too many to mention. How long do we have?  Honestly I have met (online) so many talented, hard working, passionate authors they all deserve success in abundance.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I love a book in any form. During the day I like to read paperbacks and lay by the pool or under a tree. I love paperbacks on my shelf, I collect pretty covers. Ebooks are fabulous and my ereader is always beside my bed table.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
Here I buy paperback through exclusive books. Ebooks Amazon.

What book would you like to read again?
Wormwood by DH Nevis

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
Nope that has not happened yet! But I must say the twist in the final Breaking dawn movie was a great surprise. You know when in the movie you see Carlisle and Jasper die in the battle and then moments later its revealed it was a vision of what would happen – Loved that.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
I am currently reading Deliruim by Lauren Oliver in paperback. In ebook I am reading The pirates wife for a fellow South African author Lynelle Clark

Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
Claire Merle – her book The Glimpse was amazing!

Who designed the cover of your book?
The first book The Broken Destiny was done by my publishers.

Do you buy a book by the cover?

YES!

Do you have a book trailer?
Yes.

What are your thoughts on book trailers?
Love them! Music and imagery is a wonderful,  powerful tool that sets the tone and emotion - if done correctly.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Yes, write every day. Take breaks, think things through. Be patient. Be diligent, ask for help. Edit, edit, edit, edit! Never be afraid to be you! Get a proof reader. Go for it!

Do you write under a pen name?
Nope

What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like.

A sunny day! A summer day! A beautiful day J

Do you have a nickname? 

Many

Did you have a favorite toy as a child?

Yes a worm called Bennie book wurm  - It was a character from a kiddies show – a bookworm literally, and when you pushed his tummy he lit up. Like a night light. A green cute worm with big black reading glasses.

An early childhood memory - 

As a kid our holidays spend in the busveld – our family loves nature. The nature here is spectacular.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Sometimes if I can, mostly when the kids are on school holiday.

What are your pet peeves? 

People who try to impress others.

White wine or red?

Red. White gives me the worst headache.

Coffee or tea?
Cappuchino

So you like to cook?  Do you have a favorite food?
I went to hotel school I love to cook! Seafood J

Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream?
Vanilla!

What do you normally eat for breakfast, of do you skip it and get straight to work?
Fruit – I have to eat and I do all the time. My family and friends should call me starving! Because I always Feel that way.

What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
My kids! LOL . Sunglasses, lipstick, a book and my ipod.

Sleep in or get up early?

I love my sleep, but it depends on my schedule.

Laptop or desktop for writing?
Laptop.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
I don’t have the luxury of choosing I have to do it when  ever I can. But I prefer really early, before dawn.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad - 

I love book reviews weather it was good or bad ,because I take from it and learn from it. But don’t ever personally attack and author, its all opinion.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
Princess Dianna, Mandela and Cassandra Clare.

Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday?

Every place

List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend?
The Glimpse by Claire Merle. Once by Anna Carey .

List 3 of your favorite movies?
Transformers. The Avengers and Last of the Mohicans

An actor or a book character you have a crush on –
Too many I love good looking people, strong, funny, egotistical characters like Thor.

 What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed?
Supernatural. Warehouse 13 and The vampire diaries . Eureka

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?  Feel free to add pics.


For my characters – Ava http://pinterest.com/carlylel/ava/
Troy: http://pinterest.com/carlylel/troy/

Contact Carlyle








 
Author Bio

Carlyle Labuschagne is a South African Debut Author working her way into the hearts of international readers with her First Novel “The Broken Destiny. She is not only an author but works as PR and Marketing Manager by day. She holds a diploma in creative writing through the writing school at Collage SA. Loves to swim, fights for the trees, food lover who is driven by passion. Carlyle writes for IU e-magazine an inspirational non-profit magazine that aims at inspiring the world through words. The drive behind her author career is healing through words. 
My goal as an Author is to touch people’s lives and help others love their differences and one another.

A firm believer in - YA saves!
Blurb:
Ava knows much more, and feels much more than she is allowed to. When she starts questioning her origins and the destruction of Earth, things go horribly wrong for her. She is saved by a Minoan boy from an attempted kidnapping on her life – the perpetrators are evil Zulus and their dark ancient magic. Humans and Minoans are forbidden to interact with each other, and as she is taken back to their village she finds out why – they know of her, her kind and her destiny to save a dying race. Ava must rid them from the Council’s ruling and free the galaxy of The Shadow. Her destiny is to rise above the fall, because within her soul is the key to an archaic weapon that has been missing in the mix of a genetic code since the time of the ancients. As the prophecy unfolds she learns of her bloodline – a bloodline that makes her less human than she could ever have imagined. She alone has the power to destroy or save, but the mind-shift is a horrible thing. Ava will become what she hates to save the ones she loves. Beaten, poisoned, possessed and betrayed by her own emotions, she has no choice but to rise above it all… for that is her Destiny. 
 Prologue
All my life, I had searched for something, something I thought I ought to be. I felt like I was living someone else’s life, waiting for the awakening of my own. I felt like an empty shell burning for life. That was, until the day I lay dying in the prince’s chambers. I could no longer feel the pain from the tear in my gut. The only sensation left was a hollowed-out feeling that I had made a huge mistake in assuming that taking my own life, would have stopped the ancestors’ spirit from raging out. I had given up. I didn’t want to see myself killing the ones I loved. I was the Chosen one, but I threw it all away for what I thought would save a life. Could you end a life to save a life? I did, and I have regretted it ever since. I realized then that things like me are not meant to exist. What had been missing my whole life? It was I. To find myself, I had to lose myself in the worst possible way. The consequences of my actions became the legend of The Broken.
The Broken Destiny was voted #3 on the goodreads Debut list for 2012 : http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9748.YA_Debuts_2012#12537426
 
If  you have enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter and support indie author.
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...