Monday, January 9, 2012

Author Interview with Sabine A. Reed. Her fantasy e-novella The Black Orb has been released from Uncial Press

Hi Sabine, What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
The Black Orb is Aria’s story. She supports her brother by picking pockets and running cons. When he disappears, she is forced to battle ferocious magical forces to bring him back.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?
Aria would say “The least my author could have done was to give me some magical powers, but instead she saddles me with an old wizard who can’t use his own power to help me. I have to die to wield the dragon claw, the only weapon powerful enough to destroy the black orb, the magical talisman used by the queen to suck the magic out of all living beings. Believe me, I didn’t get a good deal in this book.”

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
I am currently writing the first book in an as-yet-untitled fantasy trilogy, but The Black Orb is a stand-alone novella.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?
The title was chosen by me, because it fits the book. The cover design was done by the publisher.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?
I would be foolish to base a character directly on any living relative or friend, but I suppose all writers borrow character traits from people they know, or even their own idiosyncrasies. The premise of the story, the abiding love the protagonist has for her brother has been inspired from my own close bond with my siblings.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?
I have written in many genres, but fantasy stories have always been my favorite. The books that have most influenced my writing are Terry Brook’s Shannara Series and David Eddings’ Belgariad Series .

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
I would like to meet Nora Roberts, and ask her the secret of her versatility. She is known for her romance novel, but she writes fantasy romance, paranormal romance, thriller romance and sci-fi romance. And she writes a lot. She inspires me.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
Ever since I have started reading e-books, I have not had the need to buy print books. It’s just so much easier and less cumbersome to read a book on an e-reader, and I have a bigger collection of to-read books than ever before.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
I prefer publisher sites, but also buy from online stores such as fictionwise, omnilit, Amazon and nook.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?
No. I have been published by an online publisher Uncial Press.

Have you ever read a book more than once?
So many that I can’t even count. Most of my fantasy books have been read more than twice. And a lot of romance novels have been read more than once.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
None. I always prefer to read the book, and the movies always fail in comparison.

Do you have a book trailer?
I don’t have a book trailer, and I don’t see the need for one. If an author wants to make, it’s her choice of course. But I have never seen the book trailer. I prefer to read the blurb, and I can always tell from it whether the book is of my taste or not.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Read, read, read. Write, write and write. Know the business of publishing. I have my own writing and publishing blog, created solely to share my knowledge in these two fields with other new writers.

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?
Write in different genres. I think it really helps you decide your true calling.

Do you write under a pen name?
Yes.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Of course. I have two kids, so writing time is whenever I can get away from them.

Coffee or tea?
Tea.

What are 4 things you never leave home without?
Phone. Keys. I-pad (so I always have a book to read)

Laptop or desktop for writing?
Laptop.

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
It’s an e-book.

What’s your favorite quote from The Black Orb?
"The future is a mass of possibilities. It could be one thing or another. Each choice a person makes affects another person. One thing leads to another. Nothing is fixed until it takes place....and then it is fixed forever."

Image of Sabine A. ReedWhere can your readers stalk you?
Read the first chapter of The Black Orb here:  The Black Orb first chapter

 
Sabine A. Reed is the author of The Black Orb, a fantasy e-book. She lives in Bangladesh.Currently, she is working on the first novel in a series of as-yet-untitled fantasy trilogy. She also writes articles at Suite101 on various topics, including but not limited to, writing and publishing. She can often be found at Goodreads as well discussing her favorite books with fellow readers. Her blog Writing and Publishing Resource is meant as a guide for new writers who are discovering that the path to publication can be difficult, but doesn't have to be lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...