Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ebook to win - Author Interview - Dennis Mews - 'Nadia Hamilton'

To win an e-copy of Dennis's book, leave a comment and your email address below.  

One lucky winner will be drawn on the 17th Feb 2012.

Hi Denis, where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in Birmingham, England many years ago, before the internet (and most other things) had been invented. I live in Worcestershire, England with my wife and cat. Out two grown-up sons have moved away, one to Melbourne, Australia.

Tell us about something that is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.
We are waiting to hear about a visa to move to Australia permanently, hopefully in the early part of 2012, to join our son (in Melbourne) and his wife and two lovely grandchildren.

Patti Says:  Well let me be one of the first to welcome you to my country!  I live in Cairns Queensland, Australia.
 
What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
My book is called 'Nadia Hamilton' and is about a young girl who finds herself on a camping trip. She encounters a misfit teenage boy. The situation deteriorates until, eventually, the woods themselves become involved.

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

"Mum would often say that I was just like her. My God, the thought of it. If you want to see what the future holds for you, look at your parents. Depressing, isn’t it?"

What books have influenced your writing?

I'm a big fan of Enid Blyton, the Famous Five and all that. Also anything by Charles Dickens, especially Great Expectations and David Copperfield. Also the Jennings school stories by Anthony Buckeridge, and Billy Bunter stories from Frank Richards. So politically incorrect!

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

It would be great to bring back Charles Dickens - I think he would like my computer and how I use it for writing. I have so many questions for him too.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

Having recently acquired a Kindle, I've become a big fan of e-books. No matter how many books I add to it, it gets no heavier! Amazon have got things sussed here.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

I am. It's difficult to get noticed by agents or publishers. They would say that there's a reason for that! A famous name alone is enough to sell a book to most people, so it's difficult for a new name to sell books.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

On my Kindle, I have The Complete Works of Charles Dickens. 51 books for 99 pence. I have been reading it for a week and the percentage read at the bottom hasn't moved!

Do you have any advice for other writers?

I think sticking at it is the key. If you enjoy it, keep doing it (there's a joke in there somewhere). I give myself a daily word target to be achieved before I do anything else. I'm always awake early, so this works for me.

What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like.

My birthday is 5th February and I'm not ashamed to give the year - 1948.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?

Because I get up early (often about 6am) I frequently write in pyjamas. I am often at my most inspired at that time.

Any pets that you would like to tell us about?

We have a black cat, Jet, who is now 18 years old. She often likes to walk on my keyboard, which can explain the many typos.

White wine or red?

Actually, Rose wine is our preference. We took our motorhome to France last summer and came back with a year's supply (at very little cost). It's tough but someone's got to drink it.

Coffee or tea?

I always drink espresso coffee, especially enjoyable at the aforementioned 6am start.

So you like to cook?  Do you have a favorite food?

I don't enjoy cooking, my wife does, which is a very convenient arrangement. I went in the kitchen in 1981 but haven't been back since. My favourite food is curry, the hotter the better.

What do you normally eat for breakfast, of do you skip it and get straight to work?

Suitably espresso enhanced, I can survive for a couple of hours in the morning before needing to eat anything.

What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?

I often go out with almost nothing in my pockets. Certainly, I do not take my phone, even though it seems to know where the internet is at all times.

Laptop or desktop for writing?

In a spare room, I have an Apple Mac desktop computer with a large screen. This is where I do all of my writing.

One of your favorite quotes -

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein.

List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend?

"Making Shore" by Sara Allerton is very good.
"A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Never disappoints.
"Picnic At Hanging Rock" by Joan Lindsay. Evocative of Australia 100 years ago.

Where can your readers stalk you?

My Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5441902.Dennis_Mews
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Dennis_Mews
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006V3O5Z6
Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nadia-Hamilton-ebook/dp/B006V3O5Z6/
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120832

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

Regrettably, 'Nadia Hamilton' is only available as an e-book.

Dennis hard at work on his next book.
DSCF0677.JPG

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds an interesting read. I liked the interview too. I would like to enter the give-away. booketta[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...