Monday, April 23, 2012

Author Interview - Barbara Watkins (Hollowing Screams)

Hi Barbara, where were you born and where do you call home?
I was born and raised in Missouri - the (showme state), whatever that’s supposed to mean, lol. Don’t tell me – showme!  

Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.
Well, about a year ago, I was networking on Facebook and met a wonderful young director from Zodiac Entertainment in New Zealand by the name of Dimi Nakov. After researching some of his work – impressive to say the least, I kindly ask if I could send him a few of my books, no strings attached just wanted his opinion of my work. A few months later, I received a personal e-mail stating that he was quite impressed with my style of writing. He said he had a screenplay (a thriller) that was being adapted to a short film entitled, BlindSide, and would I be interested in looking at the main characters monologue. He wanted my opinion! I know I was just as surprised as you are now, lol! To make a very long story short, I made a few changes and added my own flavor to the script and they accepted them. The short film is now completed and has been submitted to several film festivals. As the credits roll at the end of the film it reads, Writing Credits, Barbara Watkins Voice-Over Monologue for main character, Becky. I have since signed a film contract with Zodiac Entertainment for my book, Hollowing Screams.    
     
What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
Hollowing Screams: A fast paced paranormal ride with many twists and turns through a sleepy little town full of colorful characters haunted by an evil entity.   
If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?
Please, please don't kill me off! I do so want to be in the sequel! 
Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I am working on a sequel to Hollowing Screams. However, I am currently working with the legendary author Betty Dravis, on a book of short horror stories entitled, Six-Pack of Blood. John Locke did the foreword for her book, ‘Star Struck.’ She is an amazing writer and I’m proud to be contributing three of my short horror stories.    
What books have influenced your writing?
Years ago when I read ‘Carrie’ by Stephen King, I thought, this is what I want to do. I want to entertain with my words, scare, horrify, and take the reader into a world of which nightmares are made.  
Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
Stephen King, Anne Rice, Clive Barker, and the list go on.
Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
There is no denying ebooks are the wave of the future, and the future is now, but nothing can compare to holding that book in my hands.
Where do you prefer to buy your books?
When I can, I love to visit my local Barnes&Noble but I often visit Amazon as well.  
Are you a self published (Indie) Author?
I have two self-published books on Amazon through the KDP program, Mortal Abomination and Awaken Spirit. Hollowing Screams is published through R.J.Buckley Publishing. 
What book would you like to read again?
Mr. B. Gone. By Clive Barker – it’s ‘one’ horrifying read!
Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
Hmmm, I would have to say no. I think often times too much important information is deleted from the book to accommodate the movie. 
What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
Right now, I’m reading and reviewing an ebook entitled, To Kill The Duke by Sam Moffie.  
Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
Betty Dravis. I love her style of storytelling. She can write horror, comedy, romance – a pro in any genre really. 
Who designed the cover of your book?
Rebecca Buckley – she has an amazing eye for detail!


Do you buy a book by the cover?
I can say the cover is what draws my attention to the book. Positive word of mouth – that’s the ticket!  
Do you have a book trailer?
Yes, I created my own with Hollowing Screams and was that a chore, lol! 
What are your thoughts on book trailers?
I think they’re fantastic – a great promotional tool. 
Do you have any advice for other writers?
The old saying, ‘Write what you know’ comes to mind’. Set aside a time to write everyday, even if it’s only a few lines. Learn to take rejection with a grain of salt, and ignore criticism but embrace a critique. If writing is in your blood – put pencil to paper and don’t look back!  
Do you write under a pen name?
Heck no! I want to see my real name under that title, lol!

What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like.
October 6th the year the Stonehenge was built, lol! 


Do you have a nickname?
Barbie, uggg!


Did you have a favorite toy as a child?
A stuffed tiger – man I swear that thing came to life at times, lol!

An early childhood memory –
My precious mother singing me to sleep – think about that often.


What are your pet peeves?
Being disturbed when I’m writing!

White wine or red?
Red all the way!
Coffee or tea?
Neither – hooked on coke zero, lol! 
What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
Cigarettes, lighter – I know it’s a filthy vice, but it’s mine! 


Sleep in or get up early?
Sleep about four hours a night if I’m lucky, uggg! 
Laptop or desktop for writing?
Laptop and notebook pad.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
Late, late at night when everything is quiet.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad –
They’re essential! We always want good reviews, but everyone has different opinions about what they read, and we need to consider their words – bad with the good.  
If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
Johnny Depp – he’s all I need, lol!

Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday?
Italy. 
One of your favorite quotes –
‘Live like you’re dying’ 
List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend?
‘Star Struck’ by Betty Dravis – ‘Mr. B. Gone’ by Clive Barker – ‘Ghosts’ by Noel Hynd.
List 3 of your favorite movies?
‘The Shining’ ‘House on Haunted Hill’ (Vincent Price) don’t laugh, ‘Notebook’
An actor or a book character you have a crush on –
Johnny Depp
What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed?
True Blood’ – cannot get enough…oh and Dexter!



Where can your readers stalk you?
Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
Hollowing Screams is available in-print and ebook. 





3 comments:

  1. Wow, SF, (I know you said nickname Barbie, but I have called you SF--Sweet Face--from day one of our friendship.) One only needs to look at your photo in Six-Pack credits to see why. :-)

    That aside, hon, I love this interview. It's one of the best. Patti did a fine job and her Questions are interesting, funny and spot on! Loved your answers. Thanks for talking about our (now) best-selling SIX-PACK OF BLOOD book...and about me, of course. Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to live up to your high praise. :-)

    Congrats on your contract with Dimi and I pray he gets some huge results from Cannes. It's just an honor being accepted there. Wow!

    I'll pass this around for sure.

    Hugs - Betty Dravis

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite quote from Barbara, "Please, please don't kill me off! I do so want to be in the sequel!"

    When Dimi returns from Cannes, I can see it being hell for leather to get started on his feature films. Hollowing Screams is going to be wonderful to work on.

    Great Interview Barbabra.

    Regards

    Phil Greeves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely awesome Interview with Barbara Watkins.Thank you so much for the kind words and the opportunity to make your stories come alive on the big screen.At the moment we are looking into investors,distributors to join this awesome project and we can further develop the screenplay and make it happen for everyone to see.

    Thank you

    Kind Regards
    Dimi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...