Saturday, December 15, 2012

What would you do! This book is AWFUL...

Recently, I received a message from a friend of mine (30 years in the editing business) who just finished reading a yet to be published book, and thought I would share it with you.

If you were the book reviewer in this predicament, how would you handle the situation?

If you were the author, how would you want to be told...?


Honey, I loved the title of the author's book so much I read a copy. Meanwhile, we've been messaging, but, honey, this book is AWFUL. Terrible writing. Breaks every rule in the book. It is actually uneditable... he just can't write. I need to tell the author something, in all honesty, but  not sure how to go about it.

The author will be slaughtered by reviewers if they keep this book out there in its current form. Any ideas on how to break it gently to the author without making them hate me?

Not only is the punctuation terrible, the sentence structure and dialogue and description are all atrocious. Worst I have ever read. Help!

(The sender of this message is anonymous for obvious reasons)

So what would you do? How would you handle this situation?

 I look forward to hearing your thoughts in the comment box, Patti



If you have enjoyed reading this post, please forward it your Facebook and Twitter friends.

1 comment:

  1. I would use the magic phrase 'in its current form' - so with a bit of luck the author may get a hint. I have also said it straight, but included examples of the text in my email. That way, when you say 'this doesn't make sense' or 'this sounds wooden' the author can see why you're saying that. Once, I suggested in all honesty that the author hires a ghostwriter, and unfortunately I lost that person as a friend. Pity, but truth hurts. I would want to be told these things now, rather than after I spent months or years dreaming I'm the next JK Rowling.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...