Thursday, August 14, 2014

Interview with Mildred Potash, author of "Millie and Cupcake".


Book Description from Amazon: The Story of a Girl and Her Wonderful Pet! For many children, the experience of bonding with and loving a first pet is an unforgettable time in their lives. Millie and Cupcake is the charming and educational story of a girl and her companion animal ... a different animal than many kids thinks of when choosing a pet. Cupcake is a rat, and readers will be enchanted as they learn what rats are really like: clean, loving, highly intelligent, trainable personalities who add immeasurable value to people's lives. Follow along with Millie as she learns how to take care of her sociable, curious, and affectionate best friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life lessons for kids, Book review bVoicu Mihnea Simandan
This review is from: Millie and Cupcake (Paperback)
The book covers almost everything we'd like our children to learn from a very young age: being kind, taking responsibility, being proud of who they are and what they do. The book also tackles some sensitive issues young families face these days, such as changing schools, moving to a new city because the parents got a new job, or the sense of loneliness children feel in a highly technological world, where finding `real' friends is not as easy as it used to be. The text is accompanied by brightly colored illustrations which not only drive the story forward, but can also be a pleasure for the young readers to explore. The suspense Mildred Potash creates from the very first page will surely keep even the most reluctant readers turning page after page. A moralizing tone seeps in later on in the book, teaching kids some good life lessons.

What made you want to tell this story?
My love for animals, especially rats, has inspired me to write Millie and Cupcake.  I feel this story needed to be told because rats are the most misunderstood animals. They are clean, intelligent, loving, they are trainable, and they make great companions. Their bad reputation is completely undeserved. I love rats and all animals and I think people should not judge them so quickly. I have had pet rats for 13 years. I have had hamsters and gerbils in the past and they are not as social as rats.

What would you say to parents who feel hesitation around their kids having rodents as pets?
Based on my experience with hamsters, pets, rabbits, mice, and gerbils, I would compare them all to pet rats. I would explain to parents how wonderful rats are. I would explain to them that it's not true about rats being 'dirty." They are really clean, social, smart, funny, cute, and easy to take care of and handle. My pet rats made me laugh: after I handle my them, they would always clean themselves. Rats love attention, and they do not sleep all day like hamsters and gerbils. Rats are also affectionate; they give kisses and love to sit on their owners' shoulders.

Do you have any pets?
Yes, I have a few pet rats and four dogs,

Who illustrated your book? Jesse J. Jones created my illustrations.

What was your favorite book growing up? 
My favorite book growing up was Charlotte’s Web.

What inspired you to start writing, and when? The love of my pet rat cupcake has inspired me to create this story.  This book was a tribute to my pet rat cupcake.

What is your preferred genre? I like to read romantic stories like Nicholas Sparks books.

How many books have you written?  If more than one, are any a series…or trilogy? I have written a few stories. One has been published; I am getting the sequel of Millie and Cupcake story together. I am also creating a Millie and Cupcake book series.

Tell us a little about your book. My children’s book is about friendship, love, family, and responsibility of taking care of a pet.

Do you have plans for a new book? Yes there is a sequel to Millie and Cupcake. It is called Cupcake’s babies. I also wrote a few other stories I am going to publish.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet? Yes, I would love to meet Nicholas Sparks.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?  I prefer hardcover books when I read.

Where do you prefer to buy your books? I like to purchase my books online and in the stores.  Lately , I have been buying books online.

Are you a self- published (Indie) Author? Yes, I am self-published.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version? No, I think the books are usually better than the movie.

Who designed the cover of your book? Jesse J. Jones

Do you find yourself intrigued by the cover of a book enough to buy it? Yes, if the cover is  attractive or if I like the author.

Do you have any advice for other writers starting out?  Yes, write from your heart about something that you have a passion for.

Do you write under a pen name? No

Do you ever write in your PJ’s? Yes, sometimes I write in my PJ’s.

What are your pet peeves? I do not like people abusing animals

You are trapped on a tropical island - who would you like to be stranded with? I would like to be stranded with Gilligan and his friends.

Pick one - Wine, Chocolate or shoes? Wine

Cats or dogs? Dogs

What is your favorite food and beverage? I love pasta and water

Laptop or desktop for writing?  I use my apple mac book air for writing.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing? I like to sit in the back room with my pet rats  where I think and write.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad – It’s good to get feedback and others opinions.

Do you have a bucket list? I would love to travel more.

One of your favorite quotes: One of my favorite quotes is by C.S Lewis : “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”


List 3 of your favorite movies? Mrs Doubtfire, Bridesmaids, and Flubber. 

Where can your readers stalk you? They can stalk me on face book, instagram, and twitter

Is your book in Print, ebook or both? My book is available on the nook, kindle, and print.


Biography:

Mildred Potash was born in Brooklyn, New York. She has always been an animal lover. Her very first pets were two rats, and during her life she has enjoyed the companionship of hamsters, guinea pigs, two ferrets, a cat, and two dogs. Mildred is an outspoken advocate for animal rights, and her appreciation of the warmth and intelligence of rats inspired her to write this book.

Book links:





Facebook - HERE

Had a great time with cyclone the funny man  — with Cyclone Jjs.



If you have enjoyed reading about Mildred, please support her writing by sharing this post with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...