Thursday, July 28, 2011

Interview with Author - Jonathan Gould - Proud to be an Aussie

Win an eBook of Jonathan's book "Doodling"



  • This book is receiving some GREAT reviews from readers - 
Dannie Hill
Jun 11, 2011
Dannie Hill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Doodling by Jonathan Gould is by far the most delightful tale I have read in a very long time. Along with the tale I found it to be perfectly edited and easy to read.

Doodling is a modern day fairytale that young and old will find captivating and most unusual. Neville, the main character, goes about his life on Earth feeling he just can’t keep up with the faster and faster pace of life. So he just lets go.

The things he sees and the people he meets are so unbelievable that it b...more
Brandy Hunt
Jun 03, 2011
Brandy Hunt rated it 4 of 5 stars
I'm still trying to sum up all the reasons I like this book. It is a satire, which I like. Mr. Gould has interesting things to say about people who think that life is a race you win, about people who think that the right appliance brings happiness, and about those people who need a reason to celebrate everything.

Then there is the world spinning out of control, flinging people off willy nilly and then... well there are spoilers after that.

This book is a satire about mo...more
Lili Tufel
Jun 22, 2011
Lili Tufel rated it 5 of 5 stars
This review was done by my 11 year-old son. Here's what he had to say:

"I loved it. The funniest part was with the toaster and kitchen appliance people. The aimless girl was also very funny and random."
Jen
May 31, 2011
Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
I got through this book really quickly and giggled out loud quite a few times during it. I loved the social commentary but also the fictional story of the world about to fling itself out of orbit and one determined person willing to step up, rally together all the misfits, and save everything from being destroyed.
Rachelle Reese
Jun 12, 2011
Rachelle Reese rated it 4 of 5 stars
Doodling was a fun read with a touch of allegory. The absurd characters made me smile. I highly recommend this book if you like Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, or anything done by the Monty Python gang.
    Available at SMASHWORDS


    Where were you born and where do you call home?

    Melbourne, Australia - and it's still my home.

    How long have you been writing? And is writing your full time occupation?

    On and off for a bit over 15 years. I wish writing could be my full-time occupation. I work full-time at a university, which explains why there's so much off and so little on for my writing.

    What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

    The title is Doodling. It's a humorous fantasy about a man who falls off the world (because it's moving too fast). I describe it as Douglas Adams meets Lewis Carroll.

    Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

    I have a bunch of other books in various forms, one of which is a potential sequel.


    Would you like to giveaway a copy of your book on this blog?

    Happy to do a giveaway.

    How did you come up with the title and cover design?

    The title is more a reflection on how the book was written, rather than the content. I began with some rough starting ideas but no idea where they were going so I described it as "literary doodling". The cover design aimed to connect both the idea of doodling with the main concept of the story which was about being lost in an asteroid field. The artist, Lliam Amor did a fabulous job with it.

    Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

    There was one - Douglas Adams. Unfortunately he's no longer with us. I did meet him (sort of) at a book signing so I feel pretty chuffed about that.

    Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

    Yes. Although I have also been published by a mainstream publisher in Australia.

    Do you have any advice for other writers?

    Understand what your story is and be true to it. Make sure you're always open to advice from others but ultimately make your own choices. And be brave - it's not an easy thing to do so don't let setbacks drag you back.

    Do you ever write in your PJ’s?

    No, but sometimes I wear a dressing gown over my day clothes.


    White wine or red?

    Red - in moderation

    Vanilla or chocolate icecream?

    Definitely chocolate

    Where can your readers follow you?


    Twitter: @jonno_go

    Smashwords: All formats

    Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

    Just ebook for now.


    About the book:

    Neville Lansdowne fell off the world.

    Actually he did not so much fall off as let go. The world had been moving so quickly lately and Neville was finding it almost impossible to keep up.

    Doodling is an engaging comic fantasy which relates the events that befall Neville after he finds himself abandoned by the world and adrift in the middle of an asteroid field. Douglas Adams meets Lewis Carroll (with just a touch of Gulliver’s Travels) as Neville wanders through his new home, meeting a variety of eccentric characters and experiencing some most unexpected adventures.

    I found myself cheering on Neville and his team, and would recommend Doodling to anyone who enjoys a fun read.
    - eulana.com

    I have to say, it was truly delightful!...Please don't deny yourself a little break from this hectic world with a bit of Doodling.
    - journalstone.com


    Jonathan Gould is a Melbourne-based writer and doodler.
    He calls his stories "dag-lit" because they're the sort of stories that don't easily fit into the standard genres. Some might think of them as comic fantasies, or modern fairytales for the young and the young-at-heart.
    Over the years, his writing has been compared to Douglas Adams, Monty Python, A.A. Milne, Lewis Carroll, the Goons and even Enid Blyton (in a good way).
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with me and allowing us a glimpse into your writing word. Patti

     


    3 comments:

    1. Loved the interview, especially the advice to other writers :)

      Besides, a cross between Douglas Adams and Lewis Carroll? I'm hooked!

      Please count me in for the giveaway (am a follower):
      advakramer (at) gmail (dot) com

      ReplyDelete
    2. You read my review at the top of the post and I am still smiling after reading Jonathan's book. I look forward to more. It would be interesting to know what he intended the meaning to be for Doodling but then again I enjoy guessing. Great job, Jonathan. I hope you book is a hit!

      Patti. Thank you for interview some great author.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...