Friday, June 10, 2011

The Devolution Chronicles: Passage to Niburu by Gary Wayne Clark


Hi Gary, where do you call home?

Estes Park, Colorado and Thousand Oaks, California

What is your book about?

A disgraced fighter pilot turned Bounty Hunter named Commander Zacary Ryker is trailing the assassin that murdered his family when he ends up shipwrecked on planet Niburu.

Torn between his thirst for revenge and avoiding extermination, he reluctantly leads a band of human castaways and their genetically engineered Chimera mercenaries as they are hunted by a brutal race of dimetrodons.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

Commander Zacary Ryker: “Don’t go turning something unfortunate into a fucking catastrophe.”

Dr. Samantha Jones: “I created the Chimera to be subservient to humans, a species below us, but now it seems that we humans have drifted into the shallow end of the gene pool.”

Dr. Josiah Stone: “This chat is going pretty well. And technically, she’s a female, even though not of my species. She’s mostly mammalian, so she still counts… I think.

The Assassin: “You want to believe that people are good, but I would observe that people only do good things because they fear punishment for their evil. If a man realized that there would be no consequences for his evil, no punishment, then I believe that he would embrace the evil within.”

Science Officer Sarah Taylor: “War makes people do bad things to survive, things they regret later. You do what you have to do and ask forgiveness later. Trust me, God will grade this one on a curve.

Do you have plans for a new book?

I just release the next book in The Devolution Chronicles series – Rise of the Chimera. I’m currently working on the 3rd book.

What inspired you to write your book?

I’m an engineer by training, a venture capitalist by trade, but a storyteller at heart. In the course of my biotechnology research I spent a week in the basement of a university biotech lab, splicing together genes and creating artificial life. That got me thinking… this is life that nature never intended, life not governed by the laws of evolution, and life that's determined to survive at any cost.

Standing there, I looked down at my mutated creation and asked myself - what if man's technological arrogance to play God resulted in his own destruction? What if there was a world where man no longer reigned and evolution ran backwards? It was that moment that would become the genesis of my first novel "The Devolution Chronicles: Passage to Niburu."

Would you like to be contacted by readers to do book reviews?

Absolutely.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

“Devolution” is a play off Darwin’s evolution of the species theories; a world where species devolve instead of evolve. Niburu is thought by some to be a real rogue planet that periodically enters our solar system and becomes a plausible destination for my characters to escape Armageddon on Earth. The cover design is by Sheldon Borenstein, a Hollywood animation artist and friend.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

Running biotechnology incubator for a number of years, I’ve witnessed enough lab accidents to keep me awake at night. It’s not much of a leap to write scary fiction about the real science that goes on behind closed doors. The spiritual theme in my books is influenced by Hopi mythology. I spent some time on the Hopi reservation exchanging views about the end of the world, and how I see it happening in my stories. My Hopi guide smiled and said, “I like your world, my friend, and I could see it coming to pass.”

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?

Probably the dichotomy of futuristic views between Jules Verne and H. G. Wells. Jules Verne envisioned a future where technology was used only for the betterment of mankind, whereas H. G. Wells predicted that the dark side of man would use his technology for a far more sinister purpose. I’m afraid I’ve got to go with H. G. Wells on this one.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

Joss Whedon – he has the best quirky characters, great stories and a musical undertone. My musical partner (Glen Dale Spreen) and I write my own musical soundtracks for each of the books and would love to transform the series into a movie or video game someday.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers?

eBooks and Apps for the multimedia experience, although there’s nothing like the feel of hardcover book with great illustrations.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

James Cameron is writing a prequel book of Avatar, but the visual images of the movie will be difficult to translate in a 2D world. I think I’ll have a glass of wine and just watch the movie a few more times.

What book are you currently reading?

VALIS, by Philip K. Dick. How could you not be intrigued by a protagonist named Horselover Fat who is in search of a cure for what he believes is simultaneously a personal and a cosmic wound?

What book do you know that you will never read?

Anything involving Snookie.

Who designed the cover of your book?

Sheldon Borenstein designed “Passage to Niburu”; I designed “Rise of the Chimera.”

Do you have a book trailer?

Yes – All my book trailers are on my “Earamas” YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/earamas). I write and produce them along with music by my band “Earamas.”





Patti says: Good trailer!

Do you have any advice for other writers?

The only way to learn to write is to write. If you have a story to tell, write it; just don’t expect the first draft to be the last. And don’t be discouraged if the first agent or publisher you query rejects you - learn from their critique and improve your work. Hire a professional editor, set up a reader focus group and listen to their advice. If 9 out of 10 readers don’t believe that your characters are true to the story, change it. If 1 or 2 challenge the direction, ignore it.

Where can your readers follow you?

Amazon @ http://www.amazon.com/Gary-Wayne-Clark/e/B004IAKH38/

Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-Gary-Wayne-Clark/173081079408826

Goodreads @ http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4563783.Gary_Wayne_Clark

Smashwords @ http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Earamas

Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/earamas

iPhone App @ http://itunes.apple.com/app/id434834466

Website @ http://www.earamas.com/

Thanks!

Gary Wayne Clark

Image of "Gary Wayne Clark"

Gary Wayne Clark is an engineer by training, a venture capitalist by trade, but a storyteller at heart. In the course of his research, deep in the basement of a university biotech lab, he spliced together genes and created artificial life. Life that nature never intended, life not governed by the laws of evolution, and life that's determined to survive at any cost.

And it was that exact moment that would become the genesis of his first novel "The Devolution Chronicles: Passage to Niburu." Standing there, looking down at his mutated creation, he asked himself - what if man's technological arrogance to play God resulted in his own destruction? What would it mean for the future of mankind?

It would mean an intrepid journey, to another dimension, to another world... and I invite you to come along for the ride.


I Interview Authors for my blog - leave request in comments box.


If you would like to be featured on this blog, all you have to do is make a request in the comments box below and include your email. Your email will remain private.

Next. Make sure you follow this blog so that you can see when your Interview and book promotion has been posted.

Your interview will usually be posted within 2 - 5 days. (Indie Authors get first preference)

Patti Roberts - Author

Paradox - The Angels Are Here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...