Sunday, May 29, 2011

Up Close & Personal With Author Emerald Barnes

Where do you call home?

Amory, Mississippi

What is your book about?

My novella is about a young girl who has repressed her memories of a terrible accident. Her best friend, Jimmy, is trying to help her escape the crazy world she has unintentionally found herself in. He has to protect her from someone who wants to see her dead, and she has no idea she even needs protecting.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

My characters always seem to have a mind of their own, and generally, what they say in the books are what they would say on their own.

Do you have plans for a new book?

Yes, I am currently working on a new book titled, READ ME DEAD. I even have another one written and ready to be edited.

What inspired you to write your book?

I had written a short story in the first writing class I had ever taken, and I hated to see it collecting dust, so to speak. I took it and expanded the story, so I could make these characters more lovable and relatable.

Would you like to be contacted by readers to do book reviews?

I would love that.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

The title of my book came from wanting to describe the main character’s need to break away from her repressed memories. She was figuratively fighting the darkness that had encompassed her mind. The design was simple. It was a light in the darkness. I saw the street lamp one night and had a “That’s perfect!” moment.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

None of my characters in the novella are based on people I know, but in some of my other work, they are. I do base setting on places I know although they’re set in fictional places, but most of the characters and events are purely fictional.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?

My biggest influence has been Dean Koontz, and almost every book I’ve read that he has written has made me want to really push my writing. He is brilliant, and he knows how to grasp the readers’ attentions and keep it. Specifically, ODD THOMAS and THE TAKEN. The writing in those two books are simply amazing.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

There are many authors I’d love to meet, but I’d have to say it would be Dean Koontz. I’d love to just sit down and have a conversation with him about writing.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers?

Most of the time, I read ebooks given how they have become extremely popular, but there is nothing like holding a paperback book to me. It seems so natural.

Have you ever read a book more than once?

Oh yes, and to me, that is what makes a book brilliant, for someone to want to keep reading it over and over again. I only hope people would do that with my books.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

So, far, no.

What book are you currently reading?

THE HANDS OF STRANGERS by Michael F. Smith

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest and why?

I’m not sure if she’s new to the writing world, but she is a new author to me. Amanda Hocking. Her Trylle Trilogy is new and refreshing. It grasped my attention, and I did nothing but read. I didn’t want them to end. Her characters were amazing, and she didn’t go in the direction I expected sometimes. I wasn’t disappointed though!

Is there anything you would change in your last book and why?

I think there’s always room for improvement in my own work, so I’m sure that there would be something I wanted to change.

Who designed the cover of your book?

My sister, Hannah Plunkett. She took the picture and edited it for me.

Do you have a book trailer?

I do. It’s available to watch on YouTube.


Do you have any advice for other writers?

Just keep writing. I know it’s clichéd, but I found it to be truthful. That, and never give up. If it’s what you love to do then pursue it.

Where can your readers follow you? My blog: ebarnes23.wordpress.com

My facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/fanpageforemeraldbarnes

Twitter:
www.twitter.com/emeraldbarnes

Biography

I am writer, and I have a BA in English with an emphasis on Creative Writing. I have been writing since high school, but I became really serious with it after my first writing class in college. From then on, my writing has blossomed, and I love to share my writing with others. I have always believed that it was a way to live life through another person's world and escape ours for a just a little bit.

So far, I only have my one novella published as an ebook, but I am looking for someone to publish my two novels and short stories that I have written.

I do hope that everyone enjoys my works.


Follow this blog to keep up with Authors updates.

Patti Roberts - Supporting New Authors.

Thank you for dropping by, please leave a comment and say Hi.


Paradox - The Angels Are Here.

Book trailer Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovcxyZTFuU

facebook - http://tinyurl.com/3woe84l

twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/PattiRoberts7

blog - http://theangelsarehere.wordpress.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...