Thursday, May 12, 2011

Up close and Personal with bright young Author Nellee Horne

Author of the Book:
www.amazon.com

Where do you call home? Goldsboro, NC also O'fallon, Illinois.

Do you have plans for a new book? Well, I've been writing my sequel since March and I'm 80% through. I have a couple of plans for other series but I'm not sure if I'll go through with some of them.

What inspired you to write your first book? I really loved the Chronicles of Narnia. I read a little bio of C. S. Lewis and he responded to a fan letter saying something like, "Why don't you create your own Narnia?" So that's what a did, especially since I had my own spin on the stories anyway.

How did you come up with the title and cover design? Well, I was just going over my story in my head and chose a cool title. I remember thinking that it was definitely something that was going to catch people's attention. But that was just the sub-title. The most important is the main title which was hard to come up with. I was pulling out of the library parking lot with my mom and it just popped into my head and stuck. I couldn't change it after that. For the cover, I had a picture in my head but had no idea how I was going to make it. I was at tennis one day and some kids left some chalk around. My friend, Caroline, started drawing on the tennis court and I said excitedly, "Caroline! I didn't know you could draw!" I asked her to do the cover for me. We went to see Eclipse and she came back to my house. We sat on the bed and I told her what I wanted.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life? The Harris Family is my family. Aquilla Jones, Kensey's new best friend, is based on Caroline. William's last name, Jentry, is the first name of another best friend of mine. That's about it. Although, I have had some friends, and some of my brother's friends, wanting me to make them characters in the next few books.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why? The Chronicles of Narnia mostly.

What book are you reading now? I'm reading different things. I have to read Mein Kampf for school. I finished Hush, Hush last night and I'll be reading Shadowland (The Immortals #3) later today. I have a self-published book someone wants me to read as well.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest and why? Amanda Hocking because she self-published and she's sold almost a million copies by just word-of-mouth.

Is there anything you would change in your last book and why? I don't know. There probably is. Hmm... maybe make it a little bit more romantic between Marcus and Kensey. I was 14 at the time and I knew my mom and dad would be reading it, so I made it really PG. Also, I could've made it a little scarier.

What is your biggest challenge when it comes to your writing? Description. That can be really hard. You have a certain image in your head, an image that no one has ever seen before, and you try to describe it as much as you can without taking the readers' imagination away. That was most difficult when I was editing. Also, Writer's Block. I've had a lot of that lately.

Who designed the covers? My best friend, Caroline. I didn't want to pay a lot of money to a graphic designer.

Do you have a book trailer? I have no idea how to make one! I keep researching about how to create a trailer but can't find anything that I can use. I wouldn't have time anyway right now since I have to finish school. I'll be trying this summer. Me and my mom have already talked about it.

Do you have any advice for other writers? Well, don't let wanting to be a writer embarrass you. I was a little embarrassed my myself telling everyone. I was expecting them to say, "Really? ...a writer?" Also, don't let anyone discourage you. I've had a few people on this other website attack me about my book, calling me arrogant and saying that my writing was bad (even though they didn't read my book). I had one person say that my title was dumb because I put the character's first name in it. Then he contradicted himself by saying, "Oh, well Harry Potter doesn't count." I knew they were just trying to make me feel bad, so I wasn't about to let them win. Only concentrate on the good things. Keep writing and never give up on your story. Just believe that you can make it to the level of Stephenie Meyer and go for it. You'll go far.


Where can your readers follow you? My blog: http://nelleehorne.blogspot.com/

My book's fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kenseys-St...

My Goodreads author page. You can become a fan or befriend me: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/440...



Twitter: NelleeHorne


Supporting New Authors:

Thank you for dropping by, leave a comment and say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...