Thursday, May 26, 2011

Up Close & Personal with Author - Gil Shalev


Where do you call home?

I originate from Israel and that will forever be home.

Currently living in Georgia, USA

What is your book about?

The book I finished is a short story based in Toronto Canada, and is following April, a young woman who goes through a series of revelations due to an unexpected incident on April fool’s day.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

April would tell me “Thank you for letting me get a glimpse from a different angle. But you could have just told me all about it instead of putting me through this mess!”

Do you have plans for a new book?

I’m currently working on a paranormal novel. The story takes place in Russia during the mid-1990s and I’m very excited about it.

I have two book ideas cooking in addition to the current one. One would be a sci-fi / Fantasy and the other will be an experiment in spirituality (no preachy stuff, I promise! lol)

What inspired you to write your book?

One of the things I love most about writing (and in general) is looking at things from completely different points of view. I find that many people will never change before they get a chance to look at themselves from the outside (speaking from experience...).

I also believe in second, third and fourth chances, so I wanted to tell a story about a person who deserved it. I think April definitely does.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

The events of the story begin on April 1st, and the main character’s name is April. I gave her a lot to deal with in a very short time, so I thought the word play around that day and her name would be appropriate. The cover is simple and - I hope - sends the message about what might be hiding in the text the reader is about to read.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

Nothing of the actual events, but the characters are basically a fusion of some of the people I met, myself included.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?

I am not sure I can say any of them influenced my writing without sounding full of myself :-), but I owe a lot of my inspiration to write to Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg, Tad Williams and Douglas Adams. Asimov is a master creator. I have yet to read a book by someone more capable of creating worlds (and indeed universes) to the extent this magnificent writer did. Robert Silverberg and Tad Williams are by far my favourite story tellers (especially when it comes to fantasy). Douglas Adams must be the funniest person I even met (via his books) and one of the most original writers of all times (and galaxies).

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I’d like to meet Tad Williams. I’m a huge fan, and I have about a gazillion questions to ask him. Hopefully he doesn’t read that and block my email address or something…

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers?

I have no preference really. As a writer, I intend to continue publishing my work electronically. I think the future should move in that direction.

I will obviously not say “no” to any offer from a traditional publisher.

Have you ever read a book more than once?

The hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy, all five parts of the trilogy (Hah, I LOVE it) - I must have read it over ten times (no kidding)

I read the Otherland series from Tad Williams three times

The catcher in the rye - I couldn’t get past the first 10 pages for years, but once I read it once, I read it at least five more times

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

No. But I do think that there were a few movies which corresponded very well with the books they were based on.

“The world according to Garp” being a good example in my humble opinion.

What book are you currently reading?

I am reading “Black Numbers” by Dean Lappi (http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52170) and so far enjoying it very much

What book do you know that you will never read?

Mein Kampf - I won’t support that author… ;)

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest and why?

Yes. I thoroughly enjoy the work of Dean Lappi (See a couple of questions above) and will continue to explore the world of indie writers. I opened my eyes to a world of possibilities, where talent is not necessarily where it would traditionally be found.

Another recent great read was The princess & the penis By RJ Silver (http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/32400)

Is there anything you would change in your last book and why?

No, I have “delivered” that “baby” and I believe it now belongs to the reader. I might have regrets in the future, but other than possible typos, I’d like to let it be.

Who designed the cover of your book?

I did. But for my novel I would likely hire a professional.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

The little I can say is - Write (whenever and whatever you can), keep your voice, and be open to receive advice.

Where can your readers follow you?

My blog: http://www.gilshalev.wordpress.com

My book's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gil-Shalev/202604793104114

Twitter: @cobainco

Smashwords author page: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/gilshalev


Follow this blog to keep up with Authors updates.

Patti Roberts - Supporting New Authors.

Thank you for dropping by, please leave a comment and say Hi.


Paradox - The Angels Are Here.

Book trailer Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovcxyZTFuU

facebook - http://tinyurl.com/3woe84l

twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/PattiRoberts7

blog - http://theangelsarehere.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...